Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lou Brock/Enos Slaughter Baseball Digest


As I mentioned in my welcome note to this blog, Lou Brock was my favorite player. Very likely, this is the first of many entries that are related to him. In 1985 he was elected to the Hall of Fame, along with Cardinal great Enos Slaughter, Arky Vaughan and Hoyt Wilhelm (who also spent the 1957 season with the Cardinals).

As I recall, this commemorative issue of Baseball Digest was given out at the ballpark on at least one occasion (if not a number of them).  You may notice an autograph in its lower left hand corner. Interestingly, I had this magazine signed by Pittsburgh Pirates catcher, Tony Pena, who would two years later come to St. Louis, where he would be the Cardinals' starting catcher for three years, including for the winners of the 1987 National League Pennant.


No comments:

Post a Comment