Thursday, April 7, 2011

Shoeless Joe Novel Signed By Bill Kinsella


Today I want to look at a slightly different item than I'll regularly focus on in this space.  My all-time favorite movie is Field of Dreams.  I'm not saying it's the best movie ever made (that would be Casablanca), but it's my personal favorite.  I don't have time to go into all the reasons why this is true, but in the end it is because of what the movie is about: fathers and sons, dreams and opportunities, and (of course) baseball.

It is based on the novel Shoeless Joe, written by Bill Kinsella.  A number of years ago, a friend of mine named Jon Blackwell went to a book signing by Kinsella.  To my surprise and excitement, he got a copy of the book for me and had it autographed.  To this day it is one of my favorite autographs, not just for what the item is, but for the message included in the author's signing of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment