Monday, May 15, 2017

First Taste of TTM Success

Last week I experienced my first success in terms of collecting autographs through the mail (TTM).

Ray Soff had a brief stint in MLB with the Cardinals in 1986-87, logging just over 50 IP over those two seasons. He returned to the minors where he pitched for four organizations from 1987-1992 before retiring. He now lives in Blissfield, Michigan, where he once led the local high school to a state title.

Though not greatly remembered by most, Soff will hold a special place in my heart, being the first TTM autograph I received. Unfortunately, I sent this card to him before I realized he also is on the "Cardinals Leaders" card, and I had to send him that one separately, so we may be seeing Mr. Soff again in the near future.

1/1, 4 days

My 2nd TTM success was my first Hall of Famer. Dorrel Norman Elvert "Whitey" Herzog, a.k.a. "The White Rat" was the architect and field general of the great Cardinals teams of the 1980s. I was thrilled to receive this card back in the mail as Whitey will forever be a favorite of mine and all Cardinal fans of that era.

Herzog, who still lives in St. Louis, managed the Cardinals from 1980-1990, serving also as General Manager in the early '80s. He won three NL pennants ('82, '85 & '87) in addition to the three AL pennants ('76, '77 & '78) that he had won in Kansas City. His crowning achievement was leading the 1982 Cardinals (who hit only 67 home runs as a team that season) to 4-3 victory over the Milwaukee Brewers in that year's World Series.

1/1, 8 days

No comments:

Post a Comment