Monday, May 22, 2017

More from Project 87 and a Unique Item

Last week I got two more cards back from the 1987 Topps project. One of them was a testimony to my rookie status at collecting TTM. In my post a week ago, I mentioned that I had received a card back from Ray Soff. As I mentioned in that post though, I realized after I had sent the card to him that he appears on another card in the set (the Cardinals Leaders card). I subsequently sent that card to him thanking him for the first card and asking if he'd sign the second one as well. Not only did he comply promptly, he considerately signed in such as way as to leave lots of space for the other two players pictured (Mike LaValliere and Ozzie Smith) to sign as well.

1/1, 6 days





The other 1987 Topps card I got back this past week was from Dave Kingman. Nicknamed "Kong," this 6'6" giant was one of the pure power hitters of my youth. At one time he held the record for fewest base hits by a player with 400 home runs. He may still hold the record; I don't know. In either case, he was, in a sense, ahead of his time. Today's players rarely "shorten up their swing" with two strikes in an effort to make contact, preferring an all or nothing strategy. Kingman pioneered this approach, striking out over 1800 times in his career (nearly 1/4 of all his plate appearances). When he hit it though, it was gone. He contributed three home runs to one of my favorite games ever, and led the league in homers twice (including a career high 48 in 1979). He also held the odd distinction of having played for teams in all four divisions during the 1977 season, being traded twice and claimed off waivers once in a three month span!

1/1, 8 days



The last item I got back is one of my favorites and is sure to be for a long time. In 1992, my friend Eric Hendrickson and I went on a trip together going to games in six cities and visiting the Baseball Hall of Fame. I plan on giving a day-by-day recounting of the trip next month, in honor of its 25th anniversary.

While on our trip, one of the stops was Fenway Park, where we were on hand to witness Jeff Reardon setting the all-time MLB career saves record (since surpassed by nine others). Eric had a regular old "point and shoot" camera and he took a picture of Reardon's teammates carrying him off the field. I've held onto it all these years, and I blew up the photo, making three copies and sending them to Reardon with a brief explanation. I asked him to sign one for me, one for Eric, and he could keep the third if he wanted to. I was thrilled to receive them all back in the mail just 12 days later. He personalized the autographs nicely and I look forward to sending Eric his!

3/3, 12 days








No comments:

Post a Comment