Monday, July 6, 2020

My First T-206

I had always wanted to get a card from the famous T-206 set. The problem is they tend to be VERY expensive! I knew I couldn’t afford one of a well-known player (much less a Hall of Famer), so I figured I’d try to find one of a player who played in my hometown of St. Louis. For some time, I’ve been keeping my eye on eBay, looking for something in my price range (~$25). 

Recently I came across this card of a pitcher named Bill Graham, which appeared to be in pretty good shape. I bid on the card, and then I did a little research on Graham. It turns out that his name may actually have been spelled "Grahame," despite baseball cards and newspaper articles which omit the "E" at the end of his name. Of further interest (to me, at least) not only did he pitch for the St. Louis Browns, but he was from Owosso, Michigan, just down the road from the Flint area where I now live. In fact, he even pitched one season (1906) for the Flint Vehics in the only year of the Class C Interstate League! 
 
It seemed clear to me that I had to get this card (or at least try to), so even though the bidding ended up going a little higher than I wanted ($32), I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it. As a result, I am the proud owner of my first T-206! 
 
I later uncovered the fact that he was nicknamed "Wild Bill," which one would assume had to do with his control on the mound. Then again, my research also yielded the fact that he was arrested at least once for playing baseball on a Sunday, so maybe it was more about his lifestyle! 

Born July 22, 1884, Grahame died at the age of just 51 on February 15, 1936 in Holt, Michigan. I found a picture of his tombstone online. It is located at a cemetery a little over an hour from my home, and I may have to go visit it sometime.

Below, see some clippings from the April 22, 1908 edition of The Detroit Free Press, detailing Grahame's first career victory.



No comments:

Post a Comment