Sunday, July 12, 2020

The Base Burglar

My earliest days as a baseball fan were spent sitting in the left field bleachers at Busch Stadium with my mom, watching Lou Brock. He was my first “favorite player,” and still holds that special place in my heart. For that reason, I decided to build a Lou Brock collection. Below are all of his Topps base set cards.


Some of them aren’t in great shape, and perhaps I will one day upgrade them. For now, I’m working on all the other Lou Brock cards that have been produced over the years. League leader cards, Kellogg’s 3D cards, Hostess box bottoms, and cards from other companies. There’s a lot to choose from, so it should be fun! I'll provide updates as I add them.
 
(Update)










In addition to cards, I have a handful of other items that I probably should mention here:
 
A number of old newspapers from when Lou Broke the MLB career stolen bases record, from when he got his 3,000th hit, and from when he was elected to the Hall of Fame. As you can see, they are not in the best of shape, but I was fortunate enough to get him to sign the one from when he set the stolen base record. The paper was 20+ years old at the time, and he seemed genuinely impressed that I even had it!


Lou appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated three times, so I of course needed to get those for my collection:

 

 
 
 
 
 
As Lou's career wound down, the Cardinals honored him with "Lou Brock Day," and my mom took me, as she had to many other games. I remember two things in particular about that day:
1) I found it odd that we weren't sitting in the left field bleachers (as we normally would have), but back then, there was no advance sale of bleacher tickets, and mom wanted to make sure we got tickets for that game.
2) I remember being impressed by the boat that the Cardinals gave him as a gift.

Here is the program we got at that game:     






A 45 RPM record Lou's career highlights





A Couple Lou Bobbleheads


I'm not really a purchaser of authentic replica jerseys, but for Lou, I'll make an exception!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment