Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Day 7...Cooperstown


Outside the Hall
Sunday morning we woke up, had a hearty breakfast of Hostess powdered sugar donuts and Sunny Delight, I put on my Headfirst Hudler t-shirt honoring one of my favorite players, and we made the seven mile trek down the road to the Hall of Fame.

Cooperstown was once reputed to be the birthplace of baseball with Abner Doubleday having created the game in 1839 in what was Elihu Finney's cow pasture (and what is now Doubleday Field). Historians have since debunked both of these claims, but as the home of the Hall, the village remains central to the game. It is an idyllic little town that revolves around baseball. Card and memorabilia shops line Main Street, and other businesses play off the fact that they know the vast majority of people who come to Cooperstown come to visit the Hall. In many senses it has the feel of a bygone era, which makes it perhaps the perfect location for a museum that celebrates history.

Just inside the front door, we were greeted by a life-size replica of Babe Ruth, adorned in his Yankee pinstripes, bat in hand, ready no doubt to hit one of his 714 career home runs. The Babe has always been a larger than life figure, and he was no different for us as he definitely drew our attention throughout the museum. 

There were of course other players in whom we were interested as well. Cardinals legends like Stan Musial, Bob Gibson, and (my personal favorite) Lou Brock were among those who we wanted to see how the Hall had honored. And among contemporary heroes of that day, Nolan Ryan loomed as large as any in our minds, even as he played his penultimate season at the age of 45. Though he of course wasn't yet inducted to the Hall, there was no shortage of artifacts from his amazing career.

This was my second trip to Cooperstown, having visited with my family six or seven years earlier. On that occasion, we met up with Scott Bloomer, a friend of mine who was on his annual summer trip to visit his grandparents in Cooperstown. He directed us to Sal's Pizzeria, just a block down Main Street from the Hall. I enjoyed it enough on that occasion that I made sure to make a return visit this time with Eric for lunch. 

After lunch we visited a couple shops, including the gift shop at the Hall. I hadn't worn a ballcap that day because I knew I would want to buy one there. After looking around and considering a number of different options, I settled on a white St. Louis Browns cap (1946-49) with a brown bill and orange letters. The Browns left St. Louis for Baltimore after the 1953 season, and I looked forward to wearing the hat to the game in Baltimore the next week when we visited Camden Yards.

Cooperstown is the type of place where baseball fanatics like us, who love the history of the game, could truly spend days. Unfortunately we only had one day to spend there, so after looking through the museum for the rest of the afternoon, we had to call it quits, and be satisfied with what we'd seen.

Before heading back to our campsite for the night, we stopped off at a local bar & grill in town for dinner. While there we watched the Bulls finish off the Blazers in the NBA Finals. Trailing 79-64 headed to the 4th quarter, Chicago outscored Portland 33-14 to secure their second of the three straight NBA titles. Little did we know at the time that in less than 16 months, Michael Jordan would retire from basketball (for the first time), and switch his attention and efforts to baseball. In the summer of 1994, I actually made a trip to Birmingham to see him play...but that's a story for another day.

There was one other thing I should mention about our time in Cooperstown. I remember being awed at the beauty of Doubleday Field where the Hall of Fame Game was annually played. It seems odd now, even as I look at my photo of the field and notice nothing all that special about it. I'm not sure that it's any nicer than many of the fields my son's high school team now plays on. But back then, almost all of the baseball I had seen in person had either been on the Astroturf of Busch Stadium or the dirt fields of my youth. Even when I played in high school, almost all of the fields we played on were dirt infields. Here was a crisp, clean, nicely manicured ballfield, perfect in its simplicity, and natural as God intended when he created baseball. The further we got into our trip, the more I loved this game.

Miles Driven Today: 15
Total Miles Driven: 1,446

Click here to see the next post in this series.
Click here to see the previous post in this series.
Click here to see an index of posts in this series.


Greeted by the Babe, just inside the door

Eric and the Babe
The Babe calls his shot


Stan Musial, Rex Hudler & me. One of us is still in the Hall.

Eric and me with one of our favorites, Nolan Ryan

Doubleday Field

No comments:

Post a Comment